Search This Blog

Monday, March 3, 2014

Pre Siberia thoughts or why Globalize?

I leave for Siberia in less than a month.
It's hard to believe.
Over a year ago, I began my application for the Teachers for Global Classrooms, a program for teachers as part of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US Department of State.  I almost didn't get through the application; it seemed like a hundred essays and I struggled to find time between teaching, running book groups and tending to my vegetable garden just to complete the application.
I did get into the program and then the hard work really began.  The rigorous online course reminded me of what it was to be a student again.  I muddled my through a rigorous eight week online course which introduced theory and rationale around globalizing learning and provided specific, skill based professional development in the areas of lesson planning, international project collaboration and community engagement.
And I raved to anyone whom would listen about what I was learning.
I've been interested in expanding the world of my students since I first began teaching in early 1990s at Stuyvesant High School in New York City; I wanted my students to engage with the world and I tried my best to model this behavior by taking them to the theater, museums and poetry slams.  I felt and feel that a cultured student becomes a curious adult and that this curiosity makes life worth living.
I brought in speakers for my students--from Holocaust survivors to former Japanese World War II internees to aging 1960's Civil Rights activists--and believed that because my students were hearing from history that they were engaged the the world at large.  But they were engaged in history; not in the present.
Here's what I now now for sure: globalization has changed education for good.  We must make global perspectives and competencies a requirement.  As teachers, we must prepare our students for a global future.  We must not look at the task of broadening content by embracing global competencies as secondary; these competencies need to be married to our subject matter.  I believe in expanding my students' world view, literacies and identity beyond the the border of our city, our state and our country.  I want them to understand how all of us are connected so that we can achieve in a globalized world.
On another adventure at another time: India 2012.  I can certainly handle Siberia, right?

1 comment:

  1. Julie, You have done (and still are doing) amazing activities with your students. This adventure to Siberia will further broaden your students' horizons and perspective. So glad I get to share at least the Moscow portion with you!

    ReplyDelete