Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2014

Moscow Mania


To my students: I want to preface this blog with saying how horrifying it is for me to write to you from an Ipad in a hotel room somewhere in Moscow; I know my words will be imperfect.
I have taught you to workshop, to revise, and to interrogate your writing.  In this type of quick blogging, there simply isn't the time.  I want to let you know that I wish that I had the kind of time to polish my writing in the way that your research papers demanded of you.

OK.  Enough disclosure.

Today was our first full day in Moscow and we blew into the American Embassy where we sat for mini lectures  in economics, education,  intellectual, cultural and social values.  We were able to ask all kinds of questions about the recent changes in the political landscape in  how has that resulted in regional tensions.  

Of course we had many questions about Mr. Putin and were not surprised that he has 80 percent approval rating here in Russia. There was much upon reflection about which we should not blog from this country. 

Do look for Russia followups when I'm comfy cozy in Los Angeles and need not fear insulting my generous hosts.

Two important periods about which the embassy officers spoke having influenced modern Russia more than anything else were WWII and the 1990s.  We all know about the incredible loss of life for Russians during the war but when you hear people here talk about this chasm of death, it's a different story. Everyone lost a husband, a son, a brother or a father.  All families  were touched. 

The other impactful time was the 1990's when Russia swam in chaos, crime and corruption. It was as if Russia had been cut out of history for 60 years and didn't know what to do with all her pent up ambition.  All of the beautiful, historic seeming buildings have been more recently built.  The cinderblock apartment buildings of my imagination are somewhere in this city, but I haven't seen even one.  

To my students: when I travel like this, I'm reminded of how much I wish that I had done more right out of college.  I can't tell you what being in a country that is so different from the US does to your senses.  It's a good kind of assault.  See the video of the crazy subway crush of rush hour on your FB group page.  Practice yoga in India.  Wear warm boots Russia.  Polish your Spanish in Peru.

The Kremlin tour was boring beyond belief.  I mention this to my teacher friends because it reminds me of what we need to do in our teaching.  Our state guide went over nearly every object in the armory with facts and figures but no heft.  (Common Core? Less width, more depth?) She was completely unaware that she had lost her audience.  She delivered  straight lecture--no discussion. Shoot me if I ever do this to my students.  This experience reminded me to try to read the crowd of my classroom.  If it's not working, it's up to me as a teacher to change and to be flexible. The guide had a lesson plan and she was going to stick to it no matter what.  This doesn't work for me as a student and it shouldn't work for us as teachers.

Travel suggestion in Moscow? Find the Turkish restaurant.
Outstanding Turkish meal. 
.  
Mom: you were right again. It snowed today in Moscow and I was happy to have a hood. I am always reminded of what a Californoa girl I am when it's cold. And I haven't even gotten to Siberia yet. 
Russians love their Krispy Kremes. 
Old Arbat Street in Moscow or as I like to think of it just another modern Callebotte. 


No comments:

Post a Comment