Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

On Similarities and Differences and Kazakhstan Days in Barnaul

ATracey and I have been worried about this day since we first arrived in Barnaul.  Tatyana and the Baker Street Director, Marina, told  us that on our final day we would be speaking to dozens of eductors from the Altai  region about American schools.    This prospect was daunting in Russia whrere we might face both language and cultural barriers.  

Of course, I am aware, at least conceptually, of the tension between our two countries.  The longer that I am here, the more I am asked about the "current situation".  More on this later.

I fortified myself with caffeine from the smokey coffee shop downstairs.  Plumes of smoke fill the air when we enter.  I've never seen anything like these fume filled coffee houses: certainly not in Los Angeles.  Still, they offer a decent Americano.  The hotel and most institiutions that we've visited serve a poor relation of Sanka.  I hold my breath and enter.

There's the girl who's served me every day that I've been in Barnaul.  These Russians really know how to twist.  The plaits are intricate and change with the day.  Girls of all ages from three to 30 indulge in in the fine art of braidery.  I asked Natalya if I could take a picture.


Thus fortified with the Americano--I must pay an extra 20 rubles for milk--we journey to the packed room. Legions of  teachers from all over the Altai region burned to ask us questions. 

After 12 days here, I feel that I am just beginning to understand and articulate the differences between our systems.  

The Russian teaching style is more authorative.  There is more emphasis on real facts and less on process. Knowledge is king.  Students have few after extracurricular activities but may go to language institutes after the close of the school day for enrichment. School buildings house kindergarten through secondary or what we would call high school.  


Elena asked about discipline.  Svetlana asked if teaching was a respected institution.  Nina asked if we had problems with mobile phones.  Yulia asked about project based learning. Many asked if  we struggle with class size.  Multiple teachers asked about exams for the state and exams for university.

The implication of these questions, as any teacher knows, is that Russian educators struggle with many of the same problems that we face in the United States.  Tracey keeps saying that we are more alike than different.  

On the issue of style, there are clear divisions.



Russian teachers assign more individual, less group work.  Teachers are the ultimate authority here and cut students little to no slack.  As I've said over and over again, there is real as opposed to stated committment to small class size.  While a class may have as many as 25 students, those students will be broken into groups so that kids can have meaningful, interactive attention.


To me, the primary difference is the centralized educational system of Russia.  It is certainly less confusing for students if they move from school to school or city to city.  But centralized education strips away autonomy from a teacher (and a region).  

On Critical Thinking:

Focus on critical thinking skills have opportunities for growth.  Teachers with whom I spoke see a growing awareness of this need; if educators are given more autonomy  and can focus less on tests, they will have time to develop these critical thinking, problem solving skills in kids. 

On Testing:

 There are right answers and wrong answers.  In Russia, the state and national testing is perilously demoralizing to students; in the US testing, at least to me, seems more demoralizing to teachers.

On teaching language: 

Russian language classes are superb.  It's working here.  It can work in the US.  We need to start earlier and treat languages (both foreign and English) with more respect.  Teachers here know that a child who begins foreign language in the 9th grade cannot possibly become fluent.

On counseling:

Counselors don't exist here but there may be a form teacher (I think that's what it's called).  This teacher takes an intervention role and interacts with parents or helps students when they struggle.  Teachers will follow these students all the way through their schooling.  


On administrators as educators:

And I do feel like I'm burying my lead here. :-)
This was my favorite take away idea: administrators are teachers first.  All administrators from directors to principals must teach classes.  Because they teach French, or Physics, or Russian, administrators keep their hands and heads in the classroom game.  Other classroom teachers have respect for this and value the input of the administrator.  After all, administrators are currently teachers too. Schools are creating a true team effort on all levels. 

This part of the Russian system works.  It works now in the US for private schools.  

One of college pedagogy  professors with whom we met comes back to School 69 once a week in order to stay engaged in the art.  She's not even an administrator. 



I realize that my thoughts will solidify much more over the next couple of months.  There's a lot to think about, but I am looking forward to returning to BHHS and exploring some of these ideas with my colleagues. 

See below.  This is the last swag bag from BHHS  Rotery.  Another happy Russian customer!


On another note, today Khazakhstanis journeyed to Barnaul for their annual festival.  A good time was had by all.  They plied their wares including craft items and honeys. Table after table was heavily laden with honeys for every palate.


Supposedly, this is the best honey in the world.  I found it very strong, but maybe I'm just used to lame pasteurized resin that I can buy at my Sunday Farmer's Market.


I mean look at this stuff.  Have you ever seen honey like this?  It's as thick as frosting.   If the containers weren't so flimsy, I'd  bring some home. 


These beautifully clothed girls in traditional Khazakstani dress entertained crowds with dances.


The textiles were beautful.  The Kazakh man pictured below seemed to have no clue as to why I wanted his picture.  It's just another day for him.

Everywhere I go, I am THAT American.


I just want to  take a bit of it home.



We leave Barnaul tomorrow and forge ahead to Moscow for debriefing. I don't feel done with this though.  I will be proccessing this trip for a long time to come.











No comments:

Post a Comment